Wednesday, May 7, 2008

When It's Love - Van Halen




"How do you know it's love?
I don't know, but it lasts forever."

Van Halen








From the 1986 Van Halen album release
OU812 . . . When It's Love


It was the most popular song from that album, hitting #1 on the mainstream rock charts and #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The song has been a live performance staple since it was released in 1988. The song was also included in the set list for the band's ill-fated 1998 tour with Gary Cherone.

Eddie has stated that this particular guitar solo is a nod to Eric Clapton.



When It's Love | Van Halen
Lyrics


Hey!

Everybody's lookin' for somethin'
Somethin' to fill in the holes
We think a lot but don't talk much about it
'Till things get out of control, oh!

How do I know when it's love?
I can't tell you but it lasts forever
Oh! How does it feel when it's love?
It's just somethin' you feel together
When it's love

You look at every face in a crowd
Some shine and some keep you guessin'
Waiting for someone to come into focus
Teach you your final love lesson
Ooh!

How do I know when it's love?
I can't tell you but it lasts forever
Oh! How does it feel when it's love?
It's just something you feel together

(Oh oh oh oh) Oh, when it's love
(Oh oh oh oh) You can feel it, yeah!
(Oh oh oh oh) Nothin's missin', yeah!

(Guitar Solo)

(Oh oh oh oh) Yeah, you can feel it
(Oh oh oh oh) Oh, when it's love
(Oh oh oh oh) When nothin's missing, ow!

How do I know when it's love?
I can't tell you but it lasts forever
Ooh, how does it feel when it' love?
It's just something you feel together, hey!

How do I know when it's love?
I can't tell you but it lasts forever
When it's love
Ooh, when it's love
Hey! It'll last forever

(Na na na-ah na na)
When it's love
(Na na na-ah na na)
(Na na na-ah na na)
(Na na na-ah na na)
You and I, we're gonna feel this thing together
(Na na na-ah na na) (repeat to end)
When it's love, ooh
When it's love, baby
You can feel it, yeah!
We'll make it last forever
Ooh-ooh, when it's love


The music of Van Halen takes me back to what I consider to be the most awesome music era with a wonderful assortment of all types of music that were popular at the time . . . however, no matter the type of music, the entertainers were larger than life. It was the era of glam rock, big hair, flamboyant makeup and fashion that spanned all types of music . . . just as the "mod look" of the 60's denoted the look of "the British Invasion". The 80's were all about glitz and glamour.





He had his own sense of style and we loved it!





Hearing this song also takes me back to the always entertaining David Lee Roth, who was always made Van Halen videos delightful entertainment and their concerts a feast for the eyes. Yeah, he was all that and definitely larger than life . . . he had the moves!

Yeah, no mention of Sammy Hagar . . . I wasn't real crazy about "Van Hagar" although I loved this song . . .








No comments: