Monday, May 5, 2008

World Without Love - Peter & Gordon/Early Paul McCartney




"Please lock me away, And don't allow the day,

Here inside where I hide, With my loneliness"

Paul McCartney




World Without Love ~ Peter and Gordon

The loneliness is getting to me tonight and I can so relate to this song. It is hauntingly contradictory, just like me, embracing my solitude, yet fighting this lonely feeling inside . . . a woman holding so much love inside screaming to come out of the cage. "I'm ok . . . here I'll stay, with my loneliness" sounds so familiar.

Music imitates life. This is a song written by a very young Paul McCartney . . . a young man with so much going on in his life, yet only a haunted and lonely soul could write these words . . . unless it was written long before the Beatles became so successful. Who knows . . . maybe success left him empty. Besides, I've had words and music locked away for decades that I have written through various phases of life.


World without love . . . for a person who is in love with love, seems impossible, however, there are different forms of love . . . although the thought of living without romantic love makes me very sad and I hope I don't have to live in that world for much longer.



Lyrics
written by Paul McCartney
performed by Peter and Gordon



Please lock me away

And don't allow the day

Here inside where I hide

With my loneliness



I don't care what they say I won't stay

In a world without love



Birds sing out of tune

And rain clouds hide the moon

I'm OK, here I'll stay

With my loneliness



I don't care what they say I won't stay

In a world without love



So I wait and in a while

I will see my true love's smile

She may come, I know not when

When she does I'll know


So baby until then


Lock me away

And don't allow the day

Here inside where I hide

With my loneliness



I don't care what they say I won't stay

In a world without love



So I wait and in a while

I will see my true love's smile

She may come, I know not when

When she does I'll know


So baby until then


Lock me away

And don't allow the day

Here inside where I hide

With my loneliness


I don't care what they say I won't stay

In a world without love

I don't care what they say I won't stay

In a world without love


The 60's British Rock Invasion


Guess you could say this is the music that I could first call my own. Although I was just a kid, music was so important to me since I grew up in a house where music ruled. The Beatles represent my music roots and the music of this era is where I totally fell in love with music. 

 Some music trivia about
PETER AND GORDON
(Peter Asher and Gordon Waller)
and the song


Peter's sister . . . Jane Asher,
Paul McCartney's girlfriend back in the day . . .
that is how they all met . . .


Peter Asher later became the manager of
James Taylor and Linda Ronstadt


World Without Love, words and music credited to
Lennon & McCartney,
but written by Paul McCartney . . .
it is said that John was given credit
due to a teenage
promise they made to each other before becoming famous.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Beatles recorded "World without Love" with George Harrison signing lead.