Friday, August 13, 2010

The Night Lennon Died








"Love is a promise,

love is a souvenir,

once given never forgotten,

never let it disappear."




- John Lennon, the man, the myth, the Beatle




The story . . . "BBC News Online's entertainment correspondent Tom Brook was the first British radio reporter on the scene outside the Dakota apartment building in New York the night John Lennon died.

From his vantage point in a telephone kiosk a few yards from where Lennon was killed he filed live reports to BBC Radio 4's Today Programme bringing the first news of the former Beatle's death to a shocked British audience."


Here is the link to the rest of the story and links to other related stories:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1060306.stm


December 8, 1980 . . . so long ago, but I remember details of that time in my life and John Lennon's death is weaved into the memories. It was a big deal and heavily reported . . . Lennon music dominated the airwaves. You heard about it being discussed anywhere you went.

I was a newlywed, approaching our first Christmas together as a married couple . . . one of the happiest times of my life, dampened by the death of an icon of my generation who was supposed to live forever. 

One of the things I remember is shopping for Christmas ornaments at one of those cool Christmas stores with my cousin Leslie. I even remember some of the ornaments I bought like it was yesterday. We discussed his death and the desire for the news of it to go away already, it was Christmas time, we expressed a desire to go back to normal and enjoy the happiness of the season without the constant reminder that we had gone through the death of a music era, an icon, one of my heroes, with no chance of a Beatles reunion . . . ever.

My memories work in strange ways . . . every time I hear the song "Hey Jude", it takes me back to that day picking out Christmas ornaments and that whole time around Lennon's death. A flash of a little fuzzy teddy bear ornament wearing a red bow comes to mind. The memories that a song will bring back for me is amazing . . . weaving a song, a Christmas season, a teddy bear ornament and associating all that with Lennon's death.


No comments: