Sunday, August 29, 2010

Golden Lady - Stevie Wonder



~ Golden Lady | Stevie Wonder ~


"Looking in your eyes,

Kind of heaven eyes,

Closing both my eyes,

Waiting for surprise

To see the heaven in your eyes is not so far

Cause I'm not afraid to try and go it

To know the love and the beauty never known before

I'll leave it up to you to show it"



Golden Lady is one of my favorite songs from Stevie Wonder from his 1973 release of Innervisions. The song wasn't released as a single, nor did it hit the top ten Billboard charts.

The harmonic progressions and vocal melodies of the funky jazz influenced Golden Lady take me back to a hot Sunday afternoon in Florida with warm gentle breezes blowing on my face as I drive home from the beach. Stevie Wonder's release of Innervisions is one of my favorites. It still amazes me how a song can take me back to a place in time.


As with many of Stevie Wonder's albums the lyrics, composition and production are almost entirely his own work. He is, in my opinion, one of the musical geniuses of our generation.

Innervisions won Grammy Awards for Album of the Year and Best Engineered-Classical Recording in 1974, while "Living for the City" won the Grammy for Best R&B Song.

Innervisions is considered by many fans, critics, and colleagues to be one of the greatest albums in pop music history. In 2001, VH1 named it the 31st greatest album of all time, making it the top ranked Stevie Wonder album. In 2003, the album was ranked number 23 on Rolling Stone Magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

It also amazes me how the same song in a different place and time can have another meaning entirely depending on the mood I'm in when I listen to the song.

Selected lyrics from the song follows . . .



Looking at your hands

Hands can understand

Waiting for the chance

Just to hold your hand

A touch of rain and sunshine made the flower grow

Into a lovely smile that's blooming

And it's so clear to me that you're a dream come true

There's no way that I'll be losing





Innervisions Track listing

All songs written, produced and arranged by Stevie Wonder

Side One

  1. "Too High" – 4:37
  2. "Visions" – 5:17
  3. "Living for the City"– 7:26
  4. "Golden Lady" – 5:00

Side Two

  1. "Higher Ground"– 3:54
  2. "Jesus Children of America" – 4:04
  3. "All in Love Is Fair" – 3:45
  4. "Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing" – 4:55
  5. "He's Misstra Know It All" – 6:06






No comments: