Saturday, September 3, 2011

Do You Know Where You're Going To ~ Diana Ross


"Diana Ross is one of the most successful female music artists in history" . . . as declared by The Guinness Book of World Records in 1993.


She is one of the few recording artists to have two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, one as a solo artist and another as a member of The Supremes.  Diana was named "Female Entertainer of the Century" in 1976 by Billboard Magazine.


The song Do You Know Where You're Going To, written by Michael Masser and Gerald Goffin, is the theme to the 1975 film Mahogany . . . was a #1 hit on both the US Billboard Hot 100 and the Easy Listening charts and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Song.


Both Jennifer Lopez and Mariah Carey recorded covers of the song in the late 1990s.


As I was writing a post on my Peace, Love, Happiness blog about dreams, ambitions and "the big picture" of life, the inspirational lyrics of this song came to mind.  


The song takes me back to a time in my life when I should have been asking myself all those questions instead of charging full speed ahead without my life's map of where I was headed.  We live and learn through life's lessons! 






Lyrics

Do you know where you're going to
Do you like the things that life is showing you
Where are you going to
Do you know
Do you get
What you're hoping for
When you look behind you
There's no open doors
What are you hoping for
Do you know
Once we were standing still in time
Chasing the fantasies
That filled our minds
You knew how I loved you
But my spirit was free
Laughin' at the questions
That you once asked of me
Do you know where you're going to
Do you like the things that life is showing you
Where are you going to
Do you know
Now looking back at all we've planned
We let so many dreams
Just slip through our hands
Why must we wait so long
Before we'll see
How sad the answers
To those questions can be
Do you know where you're going to
Do you like the things that life is showing you
Where are you going to
Do you know
Do you get
What you're hoping for
When you look behind you
There's no open doors
What are you hoping for
Do you know

No comments: