Monday, September 19, 2011

Til There Was You ~ The Beatles ~ Paul McCartney



This song has to be one of my
 Top 10 favorite songs of all time!

In my opinion, there hasn't been another songwriting team to match the music genius of Lennon and McCartney . . . their music and lyrics are magical and timeless.  However, this song was written by Meredith Willson (who also wrote the song 76 Trombones) for the Broadway musical The Music Man.  It was the only Broadway musical The Beatles recorded.

The Beatles performed this song on their first appearance of The Ed Sullivan Show on February 9, 1964 . . . Beatlemania was unleashed as the music for a new generation.  Little did we know back in the day that their music would prove to be timeless almost 50 years later.  Amazing and wonderful!

The song was included on their albums With The Beatles (UK release, 1963) and Meet The Beatles! (US release, 1964).

The Beatles remain one of my favorite groups of all time!

Of course the song holds many memories for me . . . the beginning of the musical roots for my generation.  It really made us kids mad when groups like The Dave Clark Five became popular . . . we referred to them as copycats, but as new groups emerged with the new sound of the British invasion, we grew to love them all.  However, The Beatles and Paul McCartney were always first in my heart.  I'm just sorry I never got to see them live in concert, but I was just a little girl . . . not even a teenager yet!

The song holds new meaning for me as new love blossomed in my life.  It reminds me of an awakening of perfect love for the wonderful man who is now my new husband.  We were married 3 weeks ago.

This post is dedicated to you my cute pirate ;)






Paul McCartney's version of the song

video



Lyrics:

There were bells on a hill
But I never heard them ringing
No, I never heard them at all
Till there was you

There were birds in the sky
But I never saw them winging
No, I never saw them at all
Till there was you

Then there was music and wonderful roses
they tell me in sweet fragrant meadows
of dawn and dew

There was love all around
But I never heard it singing
No I never heard it at all
Till there was you

Then there was music and wonderful roses
they tell me in sweet fragrant meadows
of dawn and dew

There was love all around
But I never heard it singing
No, I never heard it at all
Till there was you
Till there was you


1 comment:

ian said...

It was era of true music, glad that Lennon-McCartney joined as a band and produced so many beautiful song.