Friday, April 22, 2011

Live from Daryl's House ~ Daryl Hall





In continuing my series of posts on my favorite songs, I could never leave out the music of Daryl Hall, one of my all-time favorite musicians from way back to the early days of Hall and Oates, a musical partnership with his childhood friend, John Oates.  


To this day they hold the distinction of being the number-one selling duo in music history as a result of one hit song after another from the mid 70's to the 80's.  Their hit songs include six #1 singles, which includes Rich Girl, Kiss on My List, Private Eyes, I Can't Go For That (No Can Do), Maneater and Out of Touch . . . along with five Top 10 singles, including Sara Smile, One on One, You Make My Dreams, Say It Isn't So and Method of Modern Love . . . all from six consecutive multi-platinum albums.  


Daryl Hall also wrote the single Every Time You Go Away . . . a number-one hit for singer Paul Young in 1985 when he covered the song.


The group Simply Red scored a number-one hit in 2004 with Sunrise.   In my opinion, the success of the song was largely due to the use of a loop (as well as some of the lyrics) found in the 1981 Hall and Oates single I Can't Go for That.  It should be no surprise that Sunrise would show up on my list of favorite songs since I Can't Go for That is my favorite Hall and Oates song.










There is way too much that I could include in this post, which I intended to feature Live from Daryl's House, a monthly web show that I really love.  Rather than try to put the concept of the show in my words, here is an excerpt from Daryl's website, Live from Daryl's House . . .
"Daryl Hall started Live From Daryl’s House, the free monthly web show in late 2007, after having the idea of “playing with my friends and putting it up on the Internet,” and the show has since garnered acclaim from Rolling Stone, SPIN, Daily Variety, CNN, BBC, Yahoo! Music and influential blogger Bob Lefsetz, who have cited Live From Daryl’s House as a perfect example of a veteran artist reinventing himself in the digital age by collaborating with both established colleagues and newer performers.
Past episodes of Live from Daryl’s House have featured a mix of well-known performers like Smokey Robinson, The Doors’ Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek, Nick Lowe, K.T. Tunstall, Todd Rundgren, Gym Class Heroes’ Travis McCoy, Fall Out Boy’s Patrick Stump, Finger Eleven’s James Black and Rick Jackett, the Bacon Brothers and country star Jimmy Wayne, along with newcomers such as Philly soul singer Mutlu, Canadian techno-rockers Chromeo, MySpace pop-rock phenom Eric Hutchinson, Cash Money rocker Kevin Rudolf, Wind-up Records’ Chicago rockers Company of Thieves, Bay Area singer/songwriter Matt Nathanson, Charlottesville, VA’s rising Parachute, Chicago rock band Plain White T’s and highly touted tunesmith Diane Birch."

I've continued to love Daryl's music as a solo artist . . . Cab Driver is one of my favorite songs of all time . . . so is Dream Time, but that is another post!

  


From one of my favorite episodes . . . Hey Soul Sister . . . Train (one of my new favorite songs!)




If you enjoyed these videos and Daryl Hall, you will want to check out his website . . . it is a definite treat and I so appreciate the fact that he has put it online for his fans to enjoy for free.  What an awesome guy with gorgeous blue-eyed soul!



















4 comments:

Funky Town Disco Music 70s said...

Nice Post Gina, Grazie ;)

Dolly's Daily Diary said...

Hi Gina, thanks for telling me about the website for Daryl,he sounds great still and I love that song cab driver too :) My sister was a huge fan, she will be happy to know he is still singing and sharing it online!
Take Care,
Janet :)

Gina Alfani said...

Thank you for visiting and commenting :)

@Janet . . . you are welcome! Daryl is awesome :) I'm sure your sister will love it too!

doreen said...

I love this song!! And all of them actually:)
Thank you for posting...