Saturday, August 31, 2013

Led Zeppelin - Over the Hills and Far Away




Over the Hills and Far Away, written by Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, is the third track from Led Zeppelin's 1973 album Houses of the Holy.

The song was released as Houses of the Holy's first US single, reaching #51 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, later becoming a staple of the classic rock radio format.

The song was first called Many, Many Times!

Page plays a six-string acoustic guitar introduction and repeats the theme with a 12-string acoustic guitar in unison.  The result is pure awesomeness!

Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite groups and Over the Hills and Far Away is one of my favorite of their songs, along with it's "B-side from the single" Dancing Days.  Houses of the Holy has to be in my top five favorite albums of all time.  Not a bad song on the whole album.




Houses of the Holy is my favorite of all the Led Zeppelin albums, although I love them all.  Listening to this song takes me back to a summer back in the  70's, possibly the last vacation we enjoyed as a family, including the extended family of aunt, uncle and cousins.  The scene was Treasure Island, Florida, one of my favorite beaches, where were stayed at The Bilmar as we did so many times before.  

It was the last vacation before my Nana died . . . I remember she was still feeling good even though she was battling her second bout with cancer and that alone made it a very special time.  I think it was an unspoken understanding for all of us that our time with that precious lady was nearing its end.

I was the oldest of all the kids and they loved piling into my car and listening to music.  During the vacation, I would try to run off by myself to have a cigarette every chance I got since no one knew that I was smoking.  My brother and cousins pitched a fit until I allowed them to ride with me.  It broke my heart to tell them no again, so they were sworn to secrecy! 

Anyway, at the time, Houses of the Holy was my favorite album and I played it every time I was in the car.  The kids would ask me to drive around longer so they could listen to the music.  My cousin tells me that when he hears any of the songs from this album on the classic rock radio station, it also takes him back to that awesome time.  

Little did we know at that time it was the end of an era for all of us.  I treasure the memories of that vacation and remember little details like it was yesterday.  Music does that for me.

Source:  Wikipedia



Lyrics
Over the Hills and Far Away | Led Zeppelin

Hey Lady, you got the love I need, 

May Be, more than enough. 

Oh, Darlin', Darlin', Darlin', walk a while with me,

Oh, you got so much, so much, so much. 



Many have I loved, and many times been bitten,

many times I've gazed along the open road.



Many times I've lied and many times I've listened,

many times I've wondered how much there is to know. 



Many dreams come true and some have silver linings 

I live for my dream and a pocketful of gold. 



Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin',

many many men can't see MY open road.



Many is a word that only leaves you guessin', 

Guessin' 'bout a thing you really ought to know.

You really ought to know.

I really ought to know.



No comments: