Sunday, February 19, 2012

Whitney Houston ~ Heartbreak Hotel




Whitney Houston was laid to rest today and she can now rest in peace. 


Heartbreak Hotel is one of my favorite of Whitney's songs.  It was released in December of 1998, the second single from her album, My Love Is Your Love.  The song was written by Carsten Schack, Kenneth Karlin, and Tamara Savage.


Although she did not write the song, I wonder if it was written specifically for her . . . in my research for this post, I could not find the answer to my question.  It could have been titled "Bobby's Song" . . . it certainly reflects how she was feeling about the weasel at that time.  


Maybe she fooled her fans, but I don't think so . . .  she willingly allowed him to lead her to "Heartbreak Hotel" . . . true love will do that to you.


Her last interview with Oprah certainly made it clear that he was not "husband of the year" material, while she put up with him and stood by his side for all those years.  It put shivers up my spine as she told the story of his bizarre behavior, spray painting "evil eyes" all over their house.  


What made me sad was that you could still see the love for him in her eyes . . . at least she was blessed with a child that she adored and loved so much that resulted from that union.


He couldn't let the family celebrate her life with peace and dignity at her beautiful memorial service . . . no, he had to show up with uninvited guests and cause a scene.  What a loser to not even respect her in death . . . he should have had the good sense to just stay away.  But it did put his name back in the news . . . it is a good thing to be bad these days . . .


Enough of the rant . . . back to the song . . .


From Wikipedia . . .  
"Heartbreak Hotel" reached the Top 30 of the Billboard Hot 100 on January 26, 1999 and peaked at number two on March 9 and number one on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs on February 2, and was certified Platinum by the RIAA. It was a hit in several countries worldwide. 
 The song also received two nominations at the 2000 Grammy AwardsBest R&B Song and Best R&B Performance by a Group or Duo, though it did not win. The video was nominated for Best R&B Video at the 1999 MTV Video Music Awards.








Heartbreak Hotel | Whitney Houston
Lyrics


This is a Heartbreak Hotel  This is a heartbreak hotel  This is a heartbreak hotel  This is a heartbreak hotel   You said you'd be here by 9  Instead you took your time  You didn't think to call me, boy  Here I sit, tryin' not to cry  Askin' myself why  You'd do this to me   Since you're not around for me to tell you baby face to face  I'm writin' you this letter, and this is what I have to say   All I really wanted was some of your time  Instead you told me lies when someone else was on your mind  What you do to me, look what you did to me  I thought that you were someone who would do me right  Until you played with me emotions and you made me cry  What you do to me, you take what you did to me   Now I see that you've been doin' wrong  And played me all along  And made a fool of me, baby  You got it all wrong to think that I wouldn't find out  (Uh!)  That you were cheatin' on me baby  How could you do it to me   All I really wanted was someone to care  Instead you told me lies when someone else was on your mind (what you did...)  What you do to me, look what you did to me  I thought that you were someone who would do me right  Until you played with me emotions and you made me cry  What you do to me (why you do it'), you take what you did to me (you didn't have to do it to me, baby)   I ain't gon' take it..... I ain't gon' take it boy   

4 comments:

Dolly's Daily Diary said...

Great post, I love this song and video too. I just watched her interview with Oprah again, (I had seen it back in 2009 too) on Own and then came by here, so it is fresh in my mind about how Bobby treated her, what a piece of you know what he is still today and was to her in the past. I agree he should have just stayed away from her service, I hope Karma steps in and all his bad behavior comes back to bite him in the ass! At least she is at peace now, but I will always feel that she is just gone too soon, just like Michael. Tragic losses of great Icons!
Take care,
Janet :)

Gina Alfani said...

Hey Janet . . . I do remember her saying that she did have the good sense to make him sign a pre-nup, so hopefully he will not be able to cash in on her estate.

I love what you said . . . "I hope Karma steps in and all his bad behavior comes back to bite him in the ass!"

He'll continue to haunt the family through Bobbi Christina :(

Thanks for the comment Janet :)

ashaki said...

I don't think anyone can ever truly know what Whitney and Bobby's relationship was to them. I felt the same as many of you about it until I saw Bobby Brown's reality tv show. That's when I saw that A)Bobby didn't turn Whitney into a different person, she was attracted to him because she was already that person, and B) She loved Bobby deeply and with an unconditional love that I hope I am capable of.

He had every right to be at the funeral (and would have been demonized had he not shown). His "guests" were his children who had relationships with Whitney and wanted to pay respects. They should have accommodated them to avoid a scene. No one can judge their relationship but them...and God.

http://therisingofaqueen.blogspot.com/

Best Business Brands said...

Whitney Houston one of the WAS inarguably biggest female pop stars of all time. Her Accomplishments as a hitmaker Were extraordinary, just to scratch the ...