Friday, January 26, 2007

Gwen Stefani and No Doubt ~ Modern Day New Wave/Punk




No Doubt was founded in 1986 with a ska-pop sound . . . the band's diamond-certified album Tragic Kingdom helped to launch the ska revival of the 1990s, and "Don't Speak", the third single from the album, set a record when it spent sixteen weeks at the number one spot. Tragic Kingdom (1995) propelled them to stardom and sold more than fifteen million copies worldwide, with the singles "Just a Girl", "Spiderwebs", and "Don't Speak". The band's popularity went into decline with Return of Saturn (2000), but Rock Steady (2001) was generally well-received.




The lead singer, Gwen Stefani experienced the bittersweet accolades from the media and fans, driving a wedge between her and the band, much like Blondie. Gwen is today's Blondie . . . she was born October 3, 1969. Gwen recorded her first solo album Love. Angel. Music. Baby. in 2004. The album contains pop and dance tracks and influence from hip hop and R&B. Its third single "Hollaback Girl" became the first U.S. digital download to exceed sales of one million and "Cool" was one of 2005's most popular radio singles. The Sweet Escape (2006), Stefani's second solo album, was preceded by the single "Wind It Up".




In the media Gwen is known as a fashion trendsetter and regularly graces the covers of fashion and entertainment magazines. She debuted her clothing line L.A.M.B. in 2003 which showcases clothing that she is often seen wearing herself and also features handbags and purses. She released a limited edition, high-end line of dolls called "Love. Angel. Music. Baby. Fashion dolls" in 2006. They were inspired by her multi-platinum album and tour. Each doll reflects Gwen's eclectic onstage distinctive style and personality like her Hollaback Girl to the fashion-forward Harajuku Girls of Tokyo. She also designed and promoted a Harajuku girl-themed camera for Hewlett-Packard. Click here for more information on L.A.M.B.




An inspirational young lady with diversified talents and charisma who has come far since her early days as the lead singer in a garage band writing tearjerker songs about her rocky relationship with the guitar man Tony. In 2002, Stefani wed guitarist Gavin Rossdale, of the rock band Bush . . . their baby boy was born in May 2006.





It is rare for me to feature a song, but Don't Speak is one of my top 5 favorite songs of all time . . .

I always enjoyed Storytellers since I am such a music enthusiast. For me, it is all about the music and I love all of it! Being a once-aspiring singer/songwriter big time wannabe, the roots of a great song is always interesting to me.

When it is one of my favorite songs and singers, it is so much more special. So it goes with this one . . . Gwen Stefani and No Doubt . . . all about the song "Don't Speak" . . . one of my favorite songs of all time.

The lyrics of this song are hitting home for me at this time of my life, as I have reached yet another crossroads and a realization of what is happening in my life. Music lyrics sometimes mimic life and come back to soothe our soul to let us know all will be ok.

Storytellers ~ Don't Speak




Don't Speak ~ Live


Don't Speak ~ The Video




Lyrics:

You and me
We used to be together
Every day together always

I really feel
I'm losing my best friend
I can't believe
This could be the end

It looks as though you're letting go
And it it's real,
Well I don't want to know
Chorus

Don't speak
I know just what you're saying
So please stop explaining
Don't tell me 'cause it hurts
Don't speak
I know what you're thinking
I don't need your reasons
Don't tell me 'cause it hurts

Our memories
They can be inviting
But some are altogether
Mighty frightening

As we die, both you and I
With my head in my hands
I sit and cry
Chorus

Outro

It's all ending
I gotta stop pretending who we are . . .
You and me
I can see us dying ... are we?
Chorus






Gwen Stefani is one of my favorite entertainers, singers and fashion icons of all time . . . she rocks . . .

Gwen Stefani ~ A Medley of Singles








Playlist of Gwen Stefani and No Doubt songs:







No Doubt Official Website



My niece Angie was a pre-teen and totally obsessed with Gwen Stefani at the height of the "Spiderwebs" popularity. I think we heard that song a million times . . . over and over again.

She and her sister Valerie would spend weekends and summers with my husband and I . . . at their ages, it was a good thing we loved music because they were 24/7 with their music. The song "Spiderwebs" reminds me of those times with my girls who were the little girls I never had.

The music of "Tragic Kingdom" represents one of the happiest times of my life . . . the summer of 1995 . . . my last memories of the girls being little girls and camping in the back yard, singing out loud like fools . . .




No comments: